Saturday, December 11, 2010

plaster repairs

Working on a rather dreary stairwell and hallway in a two-decker in Portland. These are the before pictures. The owners put some drywall on the ceiling and patched the plaster walls with some drywall pieces. Our job is to finish the repairs, stabilize the plaster a bit further, and put new paint on walls, ceiling and trim. The trim appears to be the old fashioned Carolina Pine that was used in a lot of houses around here in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. It's covered with brown shellac. It would look very nice if we could scrub off the old shellac and put on some new--the grain

would show well, but sanding out every bit of the old stain would be extremely time-intensive, so we are sanding and painting it. The floors will be refinished by a local flooring contractor. All in all, I am looking forward to seeing the fresh new look for this tired old stairwell!

3 comments:

  1. Now a days Everyone wants to beautiful house. It is very true that painting is very nice thing to gives fresh new look to our homes. Thanks for sharing!
    Painting Services Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great blog that impressed me so much with this I remember the page of staining wood. Thanks for having me here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for your good wishes, 2 Brothers, and I apologize for my slow response! I had abandoned the blog for a couple of years, as everyone can see, and I have been thinking that I really need to post projects and use the blog as I had intended. Good wishes to you in your endeavors. I went to your blog site--I hope you will put some pictures up soon.

    ReplyDelete